Emergency Towing Procedure
According to Resolution MSC.256 (84), as amended to the International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea, all ships above 500 GT shall be provided with a ship-specific Emergency Towing Booklet. Such a procedure shall be carried aboard the ship for use in emergency situations and shall be based on existing arrangements and equipment available on board the ship.
Since resolution MSC.256(84) came into force on 1 January 2010, Streamlined Naval Architects are ready to elaborate and provide an Emergency Towing Procedure Booklet, complying with the guidelines developed by IMO, included in MSC.1/Circular 1255 (Guidelines for Owners/Operators on Preparing Emergency Towing Procedures).
The regulation applies to:
- all passenger ships, not later than 1 January 2010;
- cargo ships constructed on or after 1 January 2010; and
- cargo ships constructed before 1 January 2010, not later than 1 January 2012.
The booklet provides information regarding the necessary steps in establishing emergency towing procedures and includes:
- drawings of fore and aft deck showing possible emergency towing arrangements;
- inventory of equipment on board that can be used for emergency towing;
- means and methods of communication; and
- sample procedures to facilitate the preparation for and conducting of emergency towing operations.